Welcome to CIMAB
The Regional Activity Center (RAC) for the Protocol concerning Pollution from Land-based Sources and Activities (LBS Protocol)The Center of Engineering and Environmental Management of Coasts and Bays (CIMAB) was designated as one of the two Regional Activity Centers (RAC) for the Protocol concerning Pollution from Land-based Sources and Activities (LBS Protocol) in May 2002 at the Tenth Intergovernmental Meeting of the Caribbean Environment Programme. The mission of LBS/RAC-CIMAB is to contribute to the preservation of the marine and coastal environment, by means of research and application of sound scientific and technical solutions for the evaluation and control of marine pollution originating from land-based sources and activities.The main objetives of LBS/RAC-CIMAB are to:
- Contribute to the promotion and application of the LBS Protocol, by means of coordination and supervision of activities.
- Establish scientific-technical cooperation between specialized UN Agencies, intergovernmental, governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Facilitate scientific and technical Assistance (experts, consultants), training, courses, seminars and workshops to the Goverments and institutions of the Wider Caribbean Region.
- Evaluate and apply innovative technologies required for the implementation of programmes and activities related to the LBS Protocol.
- Mobilize human, financial and material resources, when possible, to facilitate the necessities of the Caribbean Environment Programme.